Shift Your Perspective
Believe it or not, it’s not how much money, how many vacations or any of the other ‘pleasurable’ circumstances in people’s lives that are responsible for sustaining happiness and joy, according to the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER, mayo.edu).
“Only a small percentage of the variation in people’s reports of happiness can be explained by differences in their circumstances. It appears that the bulk of what determines happiness is due to personality and – more importantly – thoughts and behaviors that can be changed,” according to MFMER research.
While changing behaviors may take some time, here are some fast ‘hacks’ to change a thought and get that shift in perspective leading to more joy.
- Watch a movie or TV show that makes you laugh.
- Write down three reasons to be grateful for what you have.
- Do the easiest task on your to-do, and then pat yourself on the back for your accomplishment.
- Call the most optimistic person you know for a chat.
- Make yourself smile and then bring that smile up to your eyes and down to your heart.
- Take yourself on a ‘date’ to somewhere you’ve always wanted to go.
- Gather crystals that stimulate happiness – think orange, yellow and pink as these are known as ‘happy’ hues – and place them where you will see them frequently.
- Clear clutter from one drawer or shelf then sit for a moment and take in the orderliness.
- Go have coffee or tea with a good friend and make him or her laugh.
- Re-read your favorite book. You are allowed to skip to the parts you like the best.
Tuning Forks & Pyramids