Root Chakra Balancing Guide
Do you have a Crystal Singing Bowl Note “C”? Did you know that the “C” note is commonly associated (in modern Western tradition for sound therapy) with the Root Chakra? In this article, you will learn why and how to use your C crystal singing bowl, and you will discover powerful techniques for getting grounded with a combo of sound therapy and other vibrational medicine tools.
First, we will explain why using your “C” crystal singing bowl can be so effective for the Root Chakra. Then, we will give you a guide to diagnosing a root chakra imbalance, with signs of both an overactive, underactive, and balanced root. Finally, we leave you with a foundational guided sound meditation and other sound and vibrational medicine fundamentals for bringing your Root center back to balance.
Why use the crystal singing bowl “C”?
First of all, you might be wondering why the “C” note is specifically considered to be associated with the root chakra.
We categorize our crystal singing bowls based on a system standardized by Western yoga traditions and commonly adopted to the Western musical major scale by modern “sound healing” models. In this labeling system, the major musical scale parallels the 7 primary chakras, and note “C” correlates with the root chakra. Going up in pitch as you go up each chakra can help provide a sonic lift to your chakra visualization meditation. Of course, being easy to remember is essential, as well!
This system is used by Western alternative wellness practitioners today as a powerful model to invoke imagery in the subconscious mind in a culturally relevant way for us. Since it is culturally relevant, it can act as an effective trigger to relax the physical body and alter our brain chemistry in positive ways. Beliefs and visualizations have a profound effect on our neurochemistry, and thus on our mind, body, and spirit. So, you can imagine how powerful imagery and sound together can be for amplifying the extrasensory field of emotions. In other words…
Because of the effect of beliefs, visualizations, imagery, and sound, on our emotional field and brain chemistry, meditating on colors and imagery of the chakras, while sounding a corresponding crystal quartz singing bowl, can inspire an etheric journey that can actually transform your emotional state.
Can I Still Work on my Root Chakra without a “C” Bowl?
Yes! You can still work with your root chakra with any singing bowl. By far, this is not the only model for the chakras or for sound and chakra alignment. In other cultures, different chakras are associated with different colors and tones. In fact, it is important to note that the model standardized in the West is only loosely based on ancient Vedic texts.
So what does this mean for your sound practice?
Essentially, you should use whatever system is most familiar or accessible to you! The key is repetition.
Because beliefs, visualizations, sounds, and imagery are the most compelling when they can really root themselves in your senses and subconscious mind. And as with anything, neural pathways in the brain grow stronger with repetition.
Let’s put it this way.
Sound, images, ideas, and visualizations are all triggers for subconscious work. The more you repeat the trigger, the stronger the visualization or sensation. And the stronger the visualization or sensation, the stronger the opportunity for transformation of stuck emotion.
About that Root Chakra…
If you find yourself answering “no” to any of the following questions, you should likely be looking further into your root chakra:
- Do you feel supported in your current home atmosphere?
- Do you feel connected to nature?
- Do you feel safe?
- Do you feel confident in your ability to change and grow?
- Do you feel capable of handling challenges in finance, career, and health?
- Are your deepest needs and dreams being fulfilled?
- Do you feel you have all your essential needs covered?
You need to balance your root chakra when…
The following are signs that you should tame your root chakra energy.
Signs of an Overactive Root Chakra:
- feeling stuck
- anger and short temper
Signs of an Underactive Root Chakra:
The following are signs that you should strengthen your root chakra energy.
- living in fear
- feelings of abandonment
- sexual dysfunction
Signs of a Balanced Root Chakra:
When your root chakra is balanced, you feel more comfortable, calm, safe, secure, and anchored in reality. Your life will feel more stable and relaxed. From this place of peace, you can expand and explore new things without fear of losing your footing.
How to use Your Crystal Singing Bowl Note “C” to Balance Your Root
The simplest way to use your crystal singing bowl “C” to work specifically with your root chakra is to do a Visualization meditation. For the process of transformation to work, you must be open to the experience and let go of resistance. When you are open, you allow your internal reality to become stronger with each awakened sensation. Amazingly, the tone of your crystal singing bowl will allow you to reach that state of openness more easily and effectively.
Visualization Meditation for the Root Chakra:
- Sit comfortably on a meditation pillow or bolster, with your shoulders back and your spine straight. (If someone is playing the singing bowl for you, you may lay down on your back, if you prefer.)
- Focus on relaxation and “letting go” first. Allow the strong tone of your “C” singing bowl to act as an anchor. (If you comfortably can, close your eyes to enhance inner awareness.)
- Allow any thoughts to come and go. Just observe with a smile, and allow your focus to gently return to your breath and your singing bowl. (You can try progressive relaxation techniques or just allow your breathing to slow.)
- Set your intention for transformation, and turn your focus on the location of your root chakra, which is right below your tailbone. Notice the sensations in that region of your body.
- If you commonly associate red with the root chakra, picture a red ball of light glowing at the base of your spine. With every stroke around the bowl, see or feel that ball of light getting bigger. Keep going until the whole area is a strong sensation of light, warmth, and relaxation. Stay in this visualization for at least 3-5 minutes.
- You may wish to incorporate an appropriate affirmation, mantra, chant, or seed syllable as you do this (see below for ideas).
- When you are ready, open your eyes and sit with your intention as you allow your higher self to carry it with you throughout your day.
Of course, there are other strong visualizations you can do to enhance a feeling of connectedness, safety, and grounding. This is just one example. As with all energy and transformation work, experiment until you find what resonates best with you.
Enhance Your Root Chakra Singing Bowl “C” Meditations with…
Here are other ways that you can enhance your Root Chakra meditations, and help bring stability and grounding back into your life.
Affirmations for the root chakra:
- I am safe and secure. The universe will always provide for me.
- I am grounded, calm, and relaxed at this moment.
- I have a healthy body, a healthy mind, and an abundant life.
- I attract success and abundance in all that I do.
- The universe will always have my back and show me where to go next.
- I deserve and receive support whenever I need it.
Ultimately, it is better to use your own words. So create an affirmation that means something to you, so long as it holds a root chakra intention. If you have a hard time with feeling the truth of the affirmation, try shifting your focus from outer reality to inner reality (such as, from material abundance to inner abundance). This can help the vibration begin to open and shift.
Additional Sound Therapy Tools for the Root Chakra:
In addition to playing a “C” singing bowl, rhythmic or percussive instruments can evoke strong earth element imagery of rootedness. Frame drums, hand drums, rattles, shakers, and other similar percussion, as well as the didgeridoo, all fall under this category. The vibrations of the percussion instruments and the rhythms can help us feel more secure and stable. You can learn more about these sound therapy tools in our upcoming workshops.
Download this FREE Root Chakra Sound Guide:
Crystals for the Root Chakra:
Crystals commonly used to enhance the root chakra tend to be darker in color (often black or red). You can use these around your body or in a grid next to you, while you do your singing bowl root chakra meditation.
- Black Tourmaline
- Red Jasper
- Smokey quartz
Aromatherapy for the Root Chakra:
Our sense of smell can also help us to relax, settle our mind, and open ourselves to inner work. These aromas can have grounding effects:
Other Vibrational Medicine Tools & Tips for the Root Chakra:
Taking a purifying bath with Himalayan pink salt is an excellent way to bring you back to a feeling of connectedness with your body.
If you live in Sarasota, a barefoot walk on the crystal quartz sands is a beautiful way to receive strong vibrations from the earth through the bottoms of your feet. If you do not live in Sarasota or can’t make it to the beach, a barefoot connection with the earth, in general, will help ground you and channel the Earth’s nurturing electromagnetic resonance through the 1,300 nerve endings on your feet. You can also lie down on the Earth to get a particularly strong dose of “Earth’s song.”
Wrap your beautiful singing bowl in a proper carrying case, and sit outside (perhaps underneath the canopy of a large tree) to connect with nature in a deeper way.
Whatever methods or combinations of methods you decide to try, remember that these are all just tools to help remind you of what your eternal spirit already knows: That you are capable and have all the answers within you.
Take a look at our online store or come feel the vortex of our destination shop and spa in Sarasota, and explore the vast, vibrant, and unique selection of items we carry from all parts of the globe.
And for the added help of professional, certified guides (hypnotherapy, sound therapy, and massage therapy), be sure to book a treatment at our luxury energy spa! We are here to inspire all your chakra balancing needs!
Happy inner journeying!